My background is engineering. I’ve worked on computers since 1985. I put up my first website in about 1995. I have several websites and blogs. I got heavily involved in social media about 4 years ago and spend entirely too much time on Facebook.
After messing around with all these platforms over this length of time, becoming a bestselling author entirely through online means, and having thousands of website and blog visitors daily as well as thousands of newsletter subscribers, I have a few things to say about websites, blogs, and social media
Takara’s Online Tips:
1) if you are going to blog, then do only one.
2) If you are a writer and have more than 1 book, then I say brand yourself and have the name of the blog be your name and just do all your writing there.
3) The social media that will work best for you depends a lot on your area / niche / what you write about.
- LinkedIn is for professionals, so if you write about topics related to business, it is THE place to be.
- Facebook used to be a wonderful platform, but with the new algorithm, I like it less and less every day. You work your butt off to get fans to your page, and then they don’t all get to see your posts unless you pay to promote the post or put up stupid pictures that are cute or funny that people will share and like – that have nothing to do with your business or page or anything. Trying to pick clever things that people will like, share, and comment on is, I feel, taking things in the wrong direction.
- Google+ is also another choice that I am seriously considering treating as another blog and maybe the main blog.
- Pinterest is fun and lots of people are having great results in driving traffic to their websites/blogs using it. I mess around with it sometimes, but have only about 400 followers for my boards.
LinkedIn is better at pointing to your blog posts than Facebook. Google likes both LinkedIn and Google+ a lot.
Jun 23, 2013 – Have a deLightful day, Takara http://www.absolutejoynow.com. Posted by Debbie Takara Shelor at 8:42 AM 0 comments …
(This is a blogger blog that has the words Debbie Takara Shelor (keyword phrase) in the Blog Title. I host it on my own domain, but all the work is done inside the blogger platform online. Lots of people say you must be on WordPress and Blogger isn’t the best choice. But here is one of several of my Blogger blogs showing up number 1 in search results for my name. Google owns Blogger by the way, so I KNOW its a great platform to use and its freaking simple. I always recommend blogger as the place to start for those new to blogging. Its easy to get going and you don’t have to be a computer whiz to have a good blog. There are lots of widgets you can add, so I still prefer it over wordpress although wordpress is growing on me. I don’t even post on this blog very often. Conclusion: Having the keyword in the title is still very important. Google loves blogger blogs.)
Debbie “Takara” Shelor Official Fanpage. 1375 likes · 104 talking about this.
(This is one of my facebook fan pages. I’m actually surprised to see it this high in search results. However, the keyword is in the title and URL of this page too. Typically LinkedIn is higher on the list. But, as we hopefully all know by now, Google changes its algorithm all the time, so you have to pay attention.)
6 days ago – Takara helps you achieve whole life mastery. She assists you in turning ordinary into extraordinary. Bestselling Author, Speaker, Engineer, …
(This is a WordPress blog. The keyword is not in the title and URL since I went back to my given name for awhile and sadly it was when I was getting involved in social media. I go by Takara, but because my online presence was so successful with Debbie, I’m stuck with it.)
Takara is a bestselling author, award-winning speaker, engineer, and mystic. Her email newsletter, Here’s To Your Magnificence, is enjoyed by thousands of re…
(My YouTube Channel – another online property owned by Google. I have very few videos. Again the full keyword is not in the URL. It is in the title though.)
Roanoke, Virginia Area – Bestselling Author of Books on Meditation, Spirituality, Energy Healing, & Enlightenment | Speaker | Engineer
View Debbie “Takara” Shelor’s professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world’s largest business network, helping professionals like Debbie “Takara” …
(Finally we see LinkedIn. Again the keyword is not in the URL, but it is in the title. Its a good platform and Google really gives it authority. I just don’t spend a lot of time there. I have things connected so that if I post on twitter, it automatically posts to LinkedIn. That is not hard to set up and makes things easy.)
The latest from Debbie Takara Shelor (@Debbie_Shelor). Author, Engineer, & Mystic who loves wild dolphins, travel, and helping you become Magnificent!
(Twitter comes up number 6 in the listing. You have to remember that where they rank probably has to do with how active you are, how many friends/fans/followers you have on the various platforms, etc. I rarely go to twitter. However, much of what I post automatically gets posted there from other platforms. I have a decent following. I hear from other authors that twitter is a great platform to be on for book sales. I intend to do a little more with it when I can.)
Debbie Takara Shelor is an author, award-winning speaker, engineer, and mystic
. In her mid-30’s she left the comfort and security of a high-paying corporate …
(I’m very happy to see my Amazon author page showing up on the first page results of Google. That is a very good thing as an author. If you don’t know what to put on your author page, just visit the big names in your niche and see what they are doing.)
My name is Debbie “Takara” Shelor and I am the web designer and author for this site. I once lived a rather “normal” life – or at least tried to anyway. I was an …
(Finally there is an actual website showing up in the listings. This site was put up in about 2004. I sometimes post new articles, but I tend to blog and its a lot easier than working in Dreamweaver to update things.)
Jan 10, 2012 – Help Make the World a Better Place ~ Debbie Takara Shelor. Make today a memorable day! Whose life can be made better by your presence?
(This is a very old blog that I almost never post to. Somewhere in the description or meta tags it has the keyword. I actually have an older, larger, much more established site that I am surprised didn’t make the first page of Google results.)
Oct 15, 2012 – Share to TwitterShare to Facebook. Labels: amazon bestseller, Debbie Takara Shelor, high blood pressure, meditation, stress, Virginia Tech …
You +1’d this
(This site is another blogger blog that I set up specifically for my book launch for the book that became a bestseller last year. I haven’t posted since October of last year and it is still showing up on the first page of Google.)
Latest posts by Takara (see all)
- Learn to Manifest the Life of Your Dreams! - January 18, 2019
- HOLY-DAY SALE on Dancing Dolphin Energy Healing Flower Essence Aromatherapy Oils & Mists - December 6, 2018
- On a Wing and a Prayer – Following Faith, Intuition, & Trust - November 7, 2018