What is Shamanism and Who is a Shaman?A person who practices shamanism can be defined as someone who sees in the dark (psychically, energetically). Another description is someone who works in the unseen or spiritual realms. Shaman is actually a Tungus word that comes from Siberia. It is commonly used in reference to a person who has special abilities and training in working in these spiritual energetic realms for the healing of individuals, the betterment of their community, and for being of service to humanity. The term does not mean the same thing as Medicine Man (or woman) or Holy Man (woman). These are terms that describe different types of leaders, healers, and priests within many tribal cultures. The roles of these people vary from culture to culture and follow historical and traditional guidelines. In contemporary society, these words are often interchanged, over used, and misunderstood. Today we have energy healers, herbalists, homeopaths, naturopaths, and countless other methods and modalities for healing. There are a myriad of devices that attempt to assist people in the healing of physical and mental or emotional dis-ease. Many of these modern approaches are effective within their scope of purpose.
Shamanism is Holistic in NatureThis approach to healing is multifaceted and holistic. The focus is on the whole person: body, mind, and soul. Healing takes place within the spiritual (energetic) realms and then affects the mental/emotional and physical bodies as it penetrates and affects the whole being. The Shaman also often recommends changes in the person’s lifestyle and thought patterns. A person is made up of more than just their physical body. They have a mental, emotional, and spiritual body as well. These bodies outside the physical body are known as the aura. Each “body” vibrates faster than the one below it. The physical body is the densest. The particles that make up this body are the slowest moving and therefore can be seen with normal vision. Surrounding the physical body is the mental body. Outside of it is the emotional body and finally the spiritual body. These bodies can be seen by people trained and/or gifted with psychic sight also known as clairvoyance. There is also the gift of hearing what cannot normally be heard, known as clairaudience. And simply “knowing” things without psychic sight or vision is known as being clairsentient. A Shaman uses these skills to work in the energy bodies to transform disharmonious energies.
Disease Begins Outside the Physical BodyFrom a Shamanic perspective, disease (dis-ease), illness, imbalance and dis-harmony usually start in the outer, more ethereal energy bodies. These imbalances or disharmonious energies in the energy bodies (fields) can occur because of many factors including detrimental beliefs and fears, curses and negative thought projections from others, ancestral issues, alcohol and/or drug use, negative thought forms, physical, sexual, or emotional abuse, past life and other traumas, negative energies in the home or workplace, entity attachments, etc. If the imbalance is not corrected, it then moves inward through the emotional and mental and finally manifests in the physical body as disease. If you heal or transform the imbalance at the spiritual level, all of the other bodies, including the physical body, will be affected. A Shaman has the ability to locate and work with these imbalances in the person’s energy field using energetic tools and the skills mentioned earlier. Assuming the person then takes positive steps to change their lifestyle, beliefs, and behaviors, true and permanent healing can occur. Let’s look at an example such as cancer.
Western Medicine is Not Holistic in NatureWestern medicine approaches disease from a combative point of view using surgery and medications. They are trained to diagnose and treat disease. They seldom look for the underlying cause and rarely concern themselves with the mental, emotional, or spiritual factors. Therefore the treatments are directed at the densest lowest level, the physical body, of the individual. This type of cure can, and often is, effective. It is also often only temporary. In medical terms, they call it remission because they know it is likely to return. From a Shamanic perspective, since the energetic cause of the disease has not been addressed, no healing has occurred. The energetic imbalance that caused the disease in the first place still exists in the energy field. Thus the pattern will often reoccur in the physical body at a later time.
A few things have to occur in order for true healing to take place.A person has to take responsibility for their choices and behaviors that have created the disease. They have to learn about, take responsibility for, and make changes that will allow healing to take place. Then they have to find someone, a Shaman, who can assist them in their healing process. Once the energy pattern is corrected, the person must continue to live a new lifestyle, acting and thinking in entirely new ways, in order to maintain their new level of health. If they simply return to their old patterns of acting and thinking, they are likely to create the same problems all over again.
Shamanic healing is a personal journey.A Shaman or Healer is someone who can assist a person along this journey: to guide, to facilitate and to encourage. It is ultimately up to the person themselves, however, whether healing occurs or not. Shamanic healing – like other forms of alternative or complementary medicine – is often done in conjunction with, or in addition to, traditional western medicine. (Anyone with a serious condition should seek professional assistance from a trained healthcare practitioner.) Even some western medical doctors are studying shamanism these days. My former husband, Raven, had the privilege of providing them with a sweat lodge experience when they’ve visited Santa Fe, New Mexico for such training. This article was co-written by Raven Hicks and D. Takara Shelor. To learn more about sweat lodge and a few other shamanic practices, read my bestselling book Peering Through the Veil.
- hike (avoid places where there are lots of noisy people or motors disturbing the natural tranquility of nature),
- sit on the earth or on a large bolder in silence and just feel and hear and see the beauty around you (even better if you sit on the earth inside a medicine wheel),
- garden (organically of course), get your hands in the soil (no gloves) and feel the earth between your fingers,
- go barefoot on the earth (never on ground that has been sprayed with pesticides and other harmful chemicals – never use toxic chemicals in your garden or anywhere else!),
- place a bird feeder near a window and stop to watch the birds and other wildlife as often as possible,
- kayak, canoe, raft, etc. (spend time on water without the distortion of motor noise),
- anytime you see an animal, stop everything to watch it for awhile,
- even indoors, listen to recorded nature sounds, fountains, or wind chimes,
- begin to track the moon phases,
- always make it a point to go out and gaze on the full moon,
- spend a little time in the sun every day (never allow yourself to burn and avoid sunscreen if at all possible. That usually means you have to build up your time in the sun slowly day by day),
- acknowledge the Spring and Fall Equinox, Summer and Winter Solstice (do something in nature – many people participate in drumming circles, sweat lodges, dancing, or sitting in silence in meditation, etc. on those days),
- watch videos or documentaries that help you explore the various aspects of nature, and finally
- join my Wild Dolphin Lovers group on Facebook to enjoy beautiful water, dolphin, and whale images, videos, and stories.
Energy Healers and Shaman
Physical Pain and Entities
I Am an Energy Healer
How to Tell the Dark from the Light
Some Will Steal Your Power
How Can You Tell?If you spend time with someone and afterwards you feel confusion, worry, exhaustion, or self doubt, that is a neon sign that you have been manipulated energetically and/or mentally. Clear the energy between you and spend less time with them if at all possible. How often do you take the time to meditate, open the energy channels within the body, connect to the earth and your Higher Self? These are actions I take every single day. I encourage you to do the same. As you continue the practice, you will become better at determining people who are running harmonious empowering energy vs the opposite. Have a glorious day, P.S. When you need help, give me a call. When you are truly ready to clear out the crap and rise dramatically in consciousness and awareness, sign up for my Magnificent U Foundation intensive.
Meditation for RealignmentSit with your eyes closed. Take a few slow deep breaths. Focus your attention on your heart. Find something to feel grateful for. Ask Archangel Michael to place a protective grid around you. I like to ask him to wrap his wings around me. It feels very nice. Ground yourself by seeing giant roots growing down into the earth from each of your feet. See the roots grow and spread as far as possible. Feel yourself firmly anchored to the earth. Ask for the dolphin spiral clearing and infusion to cleanse your field. You don’t have to stand and spin, just ask that it be done. The instructions are in the free ebook Dancing with Dolphins that you were gifted when you joined the newsletter list. If you don’t have the ebook, you can get it here. Ask your High Self and Guides to:
- recalibrate, and
- upgrade you to the next level of your Divine blueprint.
* I do not know the original source of this image. If you know the designer, I would love to give proper attribution. THANKS!This is an update of a previously published healing exercise I created.
- Would you like to start mid-November or would you like to wait until the beginning of January – after the holidays?
- If there is something specific you would like to learn about energy healing, becoming healed and whole, or any of the other topics I discuss, please let me know so I can include it in this training.
Get Your Free eBook
- Author Success
- Business Success
- Dolphins ~ Whales
- Emotional/Mental Healing Wellbeing
- Energy Healing
- Hands on Healing
- Health ~ Wellness
- Hero Journey
- Homeschool ~ Education
- Joy ~ Happiness
- Law of Attraction
- Limiting Beliefs
- Online Business Success
- Pendulum Dowsing
- Personal Growth ~ Empowerment
- Self Help
- Self-Worth Self-Confidence
- Sixth Sense
- Spiritual Gifts
- Stress Reduction
- Thriving Online
- Wisdom Teachings
At Magnificent U
Magnificent U is your ultimate source for personal empowerment, spiritual growth & enlightenment, author and online business success, adventure travel to unwind and de-stress, tools & technologies to make your life work, energy and vibrational healing, electromagnetic radiation protection with the BioElectric Shield, ways to develop your psychic ability and protect yourself against negative energy, plus numerous ways to eliminate stress and live in joy. Takara offers insight, inspiration, motivation, spirituality, shamanism, happiness, self-help, free articles & more.
It is also home of Takara’s
enjoyed by thousands of subscribers from over 100 countries across the globe.